Esports SEO SERP analysis (2018)
It wouldn’t be SEO if I wasn’t checking the rankings for the key terms of interest. The head term I’ve been looking at is Esports SEO. A couple of days ago, I did some research to find out what websites I was ranking against.
Summary: Esports SEO as a query is very weak. There’s a lack of resource talking about what Esports SEO is. We have old conversations (2013) talking about SEO and Esports from Reddit, one SEO esports consultancy without a portfolio and a poorly managed Facebook. Strangely, Google doesn’t understand the difference between gaming and esports. This resulted in Google showing me results of how to SEO a gaming site or what the esports market is. There was little information about Esports SEO.
My plan is to use content marketing to satisfy the user intent. That means writing more content about Esports SEO by writing examples of what is good and bad SEO from Esports teams. The end goal is for ColdboltSEO to be synonymous with Esports SEO. I generally wouldn’t go for short terms immediately but given the weak strength of the query, I’m heading for it immediately.
Why should we research SERP results?
To get a sense of what the query is about. Using analytics tools to find out where you’re ranking at a certain query isn’t good enough. You need to know what you are competing against and the quality of the content which ranks against you. Simply, you need to get a feel of what the query is about. Here’s a couple of reasons to why you should research your SERP competition;
- Find out what you are competing against.
- Check what is missing from the searches
- Understand the level of content being made
- Create an understanding of what the SERP is generating
Your ability to judge and critique content is extremely necessary. Knowing what is deemed good or bad content, allows you to make your own mind up. This is needed because if the SERPs results are bad, you can determine that it is. Without that, you lose the ability to gauge if the content in the SERPs or as good as they could be. Things to look out for;
- Are the SERP results related to the question?
- How could you improve on each result if you had to?
Just by following these two points, you can determine if the SERP is related, can it be bettered. If it can be, then if you have the opportunity to better it, do it.
Here’s what I got out of it
I only looked at the first page of results because the lack of quality results. I would generally look through 2-3 pages but it was obvious after the second result, this term was weak.
Generally, you get a lot of inspiration from looking at the competition but in this case, little was found. Below I will show the ten results and explain my thoughts about them.
SERP results thoughts
- Marketing (SEO) in E-Sports : esports – Reddit
- Active conversation about SEO and Esports.
- Reddit commands a lot of authority.
- Doesn’t actually explain what Esports SEO is but rather has something to do with it.
- SEO for Online Gaming – TranslateMedia
- Doesn’t talk about Esports but rather gaming
- It’s a translation service for game developers.
- Nothing about SEO also.
- Best SEO Strategies for Gaming Sites – SEO Hacker
- Good advise about how to SEO a gaming site.
- Doesn’t talk about Esports at all.
- It’s an old site with big popups Google won’t like.
- Marketing in eSports For Your Business
- More about Esports marketing.
- Anchor text which seems to be bought.
- It’s a digital marketing company which does do SEO.
- SEO Agency | Esports Digital Marketing Agency Services – Linqzil Digital
- A proper SEO Esports agency with PPC.
- Strong copy to allow users to know what they do.
- Poorly managed social media and no portfolio or blog. Feels built for a day.
- eSports, millennials and the casino – Digital Marketing: Social Media …
- Talks about Esports and it’s rise but nothing about SEO.
- Very verbose and not really aimed at Esports but more casinos availability.
- Post talking more about esports marketing.
- Esports SEO Service – Optimise Your Website — Radiant Esports
- Esports team that also do creative services. Provides SEO PDF.
- Only page which references about SEO on the site.
- Services can’t be found using the internal link structure.
- How do you SEO a gaming site? – Growth.org
- Gaming related without esports
- Gaming seems to be related to esports but it doesn’t mean it’s esports.
- Information about SEO and Gaming.
- How We are Searching for Esports Across the Web – Fast Web Media
- First page which relates esports and SEO properly together
- Explains how people searching on Google has been about for ages.
- Doesn’t explain how SEO helps but more a component of it.
- Content should be a piece of a series.
- Talks about the popularity of Esports.
- SEO isn’t mentioned.
- Marketing is mentioned but SEO is a component which people are using in marketing.
This was disappointing.
I was hoping I would find a high-quality SEO consultancy who were ready to take on esports clients. Maybe a site which talked about marketing and then explained how esports teams could leverage upon SEO to better their awareness and branding. Then maybe a forum with recent chatter about how to apply SEO with esports. I was not fulfilled. Esports has grown massively and SEO has also.
What to take away from Esports SEO as a query.
This is a big head term which can mean a lot of things. A lot of content aiming at Esports SEO can range from consultancies, discussions and what it actually is. Here’s a couple of points I came up with;
- What is esports SEO.
- News about esports and the combination of SEO.
- Discussions about esports SEO with people.
- Digital Marketing which does SEO and includes how to do it for Esports.
Content within this query had to be about Esports SEO. It didn’t matter what context it was about because the term is that big. I expected to see content hubs about SEO and Esports but this wasn’t present. Therefore I’m in the thinking that there is a big opportunity for me.
SEO helps with getting people known for the right reasons. Simple and easy. This should be something all esports teams should be looking at. I personally believe people are missing out on it and currently there isn’t any great content which covers this query. Therefore I feel I will look to take on this term and become the best result possible.
How am I going to do that?
To secure the Esports SEO term, the strategy is simple. Take the points I just talked about and incorporate it into ColdboltSEO.
- Make a content hub about what is Esports SEO
- Explain what Esports SEO is and what it contrives upon it.
- How esports players can look to better SEO themselves and why they should.
- What esports teams have got to gain from adding SEO to their marketing mix.
- An active discussion about what Esports SEO is and how it affects us today in 2018/2019.
- I’ll probably do this on Reddit and link a couple of my posts on businesses/teams which could take advantage of it.
- Partake in conversations to better cement my authority upon the subject.
- Critique Esports teams and businesses about their SEO endeavours if any.
- Check how well an esports team does in SEO.
- Suggest what they could do to better their SEO.
- Explain why it would better their SEO and their business (SEO is there to help you).
- Become an SEO consultancy in the future for Esports
- I want to work for Esports teams/businesses in the future to better their SEO.
- It’s another aspect of Esports SEO which connects me to the term.
All of these suggestions have something to do with Esports SEO. I’d like ColdboltSEO to be the place all about SEO within the Esports sector and also businesses which have something to do with gaming. Business-wise, the suggestions help make ColdboltSEO the place for SEO information and Esports. This also works to make ColdboltSEO more synonymous with Esports SEO. By giving search engines like Google, all the reasons to believe ColdboltSEO is the best place for this type of information, the results for Esports SEO will hopefully be captured by ColdboltSEO in the future.
This research allowed me to figure out how good my content had to be and the range of content I could talk about. Learning that discussions are important and the lack of good content available, instead of working on longer terms and capturing them first, I’m aiming to do a comprehensive strategy to help develop the query to my benefit.